Monday, April 19, 2010

Birds gone wild

A woodpecker relative known as a Northern Flicker has moved into the city hall building in Lake Oswego, Or. I've actually had the misfortune of having one of these birds mark its territory by pecking at the metal covering on the chimney over my bedroom when I was in high school. The flicker is an intense pecker-if you know what I mean. Every morning at 5 am I awoke not to the relaxing sounds of chirping and song, but to what sounded like heavy machine gun fire.

It took me awhile to figure out where the sound was coming from and my parents thought I was going nuts until they finally heard it. And, like the beleaguered city manager, we were at a loss as to what to do. I think finally my dad settled on shouting and arm waving-eventually graduating to launching stones and heavy cones at it. It would not be swayed. It returned to our chimney all spring until it finally moved on to annoy the crap out of someone in Canada.

Check out this link and enjoy the schadenfreude...

http://lakeoswego.katu.com/content/lake-oswego-city-manager-vs-noisy-woodpecker

No comments:

Post a Comment